rsync process never quits! BUG? PROBLEM?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Aug 17 09:52:12 GMT 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:55:52AM +1000, Polyanovskyi, Sasha wrote:
> *	on some of the destination machines not just one rsync daemon, but
> two rsync.exe processes become running (even though only one of several
> parallel rsync processes from the source machine deals with such a
> destination machine)

This is exactly as it should be -- the receiving system forks a separate
generator process.

My guess as to what is wrong is that you've encountered some kind of a
cygwin bug.  I'd suggest removing inetd from the equation as a first
step (i.e. run "rsync --daemon" directly and let it handle the incoming
connections).  If the processes are still hanging around when they
shouldn't be, you'll need to get some information on what the processes
are doing at that point.  There are some debugging ideas on the issues
page of the rsync web site that you can try.