possible suppression for output ?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Aug 11 16:59:21 GMT 2004

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:41:22AM -0500, Daniel.Bourque at learjet.com wrote:
> There is something interesting though, all directories in the path are
> printed, even when files are not modified

Some OSes don't allow a directory to be set to a time in the past.  If
that is the case, rsync is trying to set the time but failing (and it
ignores the error since it is not important to the duplication efforts).

I personally think that setting the timestamps on the directories is not
a very necessary thing to do by default, so a while back I created a
patch that would make it optional.  I didn't get any positive feedback
at the time, though, so I dropped it for now.  You can find the patch
here:

  http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/patches/dir-times.diff

That is based on the CVS source.  If you want to try it out, one way is
to snag a nightly tar file from the rsync web site and apply the patch
(it's included in the tar file).