want to write a patch, need help getting started...

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 15 17:22:54 GMT 2004

--archive will make it match up all the timestamps. owners, etc, along
with the data.  If the metadata matches, it won't read the files to verify
content,  so you might want to add --checksum to force reading, though
that will make it take a whole lot longer.
If you want it to leave owner alone, do individual options instead of the
--archive bundle... --times will do, though you probably want it
recursive, too.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

Greetings,

I have two systems that have identical file hierarchies, except the
owners/groups and timestamps differ.  All of the files have the same
checksums.  Is there a way to tell rsync to compare checksums, and if
they are the same, simply change the owner/group/timestamp?  I really
only care about timestamps.  This way, once the timestamps are duplicated,
rsync can operate more efficiently the next time it is run.