BugReport: file/directory warning ambiguous

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sun Sep 7 14:44:22 EST 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:49:31PM -0400, Scott R. Godin wrote:
> rsync -aczuv --rsh=ssh /var/www/html/ $USER@$HOST:/data/web/$USER/html
> --exclude='**usage/' --exclude='**phpMyAdmin/'
> --exclude='**thumbnails/' --exclude='**mrtg/' --exclude='**icon'
> --exclude='template.htm' --delete
> $USER@$HOST's password:
> building file list ... done
> failed to set permissions on . : Operation not permitted
> mr/
> mr/index.htm
> perl.htm
> failed to set permissions on . : Operation not permitted
> wrote 7426 bytes  read 238 bytes  1021.87 bytes/sec
> total size is 4728911  speedup is 617.03
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(620)
>
> It would be MUCH better if the warning would indicate where the error was
> LOCAL or REMOTE and WHICH specific thing it had problems with. "." is VERY
> ambigious in this case since we're dealing with multiple directories both
> local and remote. Otherwise, everything gets uploaded properly contrary to
> the error message at the end.

I'll ignore for the moment the invalid portions of your
command line.

There is nothing ambiguous about the warning.  Since no
writing is done to the source permissions setting could only
be done to the destination.  All paths given are relative to
the base-dir so "." is the base dir.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt