rsync on OpenVMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Oct 22 13:28:11 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote:

> Sounds promising.
>
> The pitfall you with rsync in threads is that rsync forks
> with a COW expectation using a great deal of data set prior
> to the fork.  Some of that data is altered.  In particular a
> slew of global variables that must become thread unique when
> modified or things will break in subtle ways.

Yes, I can see a few cases of this.

There are approximately 235 global and static variables in rsync, and
of those 105 are obviously never modified after the fork() takes place.
  That may be the case for several of the others, like the 10 in batch.c

As the use of the remaining ones are identified, that issue is easily
fixed.  What I need to do is map the routines called by the receive
process/thread to see what static/global variables that they modify.

All the more reason to get more people working on this that want it to
work on the OpenVMS operating system.  Several people have contacted me
that they are willing to assist.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only