rsync on OpenVMS

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Oct 20 14:27:02 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:20:27AM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> John E. Malmberg wrote:
> >
> >While my testing is far from complete, and I have a few OpenVMS specific
> >things to work out, it appears that the changes to make the client use
> >pthreads were minor, and as of yesterday a client on OpenVMS is able to
> >properly replicate a sample directory of plain text files from a local
> >server running rsync on Windows 2000.
>
> I just successfully used rsync running on OpenVMS to download the
> current rsync development tree.  I deleted a few files, and reran rsync
> which repopulated just the missing files.
>
> It looks like I have a working client. :-)
>
> My next step is to make sure that I can build the current CVS build and
> post a "beta" kit for ftp download with build instructions for the other
> OpenVMS developers that have expressed an interest in working on this.

Sounds promising.

The pitfall you with rsync in threads is that rsync forks
with a COW expectation using a great deal of data set prior
to the fork.  Some of that data is altered.  In particular a
slew of global variables that must become thread unique when
modified or things will break in subtle ways.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt