rsync.h always including syslog.h even when not used.

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sun Oct 12 15:01:33 EST 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:38:40AM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> jw schultz wrote:
> >On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:21:19PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> >
> >Won't work.  LOG_DAEMON is defined in syslog.h.
>
> Didn't there use to be a HAVE_SYSLOG or USE_SYSLOG in the source before?

Unlikely.  That isn't the sort of thing that gets removed.

> >>OpenVMS currently does not have a syslog facility, so it does not have a
> >>syslog.h.
>
> If I put an empty syslog.h in my build directory, than the compiler is
> happy, so it does not appear to be a needed header file if you do not
> have such a facility.
>
> I can use the empty syslog.h, but I was hoping that this could be a
> CONFIGURE option, so if and when OpenVMS adds a SYSLOG type facility, it
> would pick it up with out the local syslog.h file causing a problem.

Making it something autoconf detects would be reasonable
setting a HAVE_SYSLOG.

> >If you don't have a syslog facility i'd expect you to be
> >getting link errors.
>
> I have not seen any that I could attribute to that.  The only one I am
> seeing is for getpass() being missing and I know how to fix that.

I'm surprised at that.  What about the calls to syslog() and
openlog() in log.c?

> I am trying to restart getting rsync to run on OpenVMS, and find a way
> around the fork() issue, posibly using POSIX threads.

That is tons of work.  You might want to look at the work
done at Novell.

> The SYSLOG facility looks like it could map in functionality to the
> OpenVMS send to operator system service, except that the operator
> messages go only to the systems in the local cluster.  So if needed, I
> could build an interface to make it work good enough.
>
> There does not appear to be any recent CVS snapshots available for
> download, so I am going with the 2.5.6 release as a base.

For a long-term project that may be fairly safe but the
resulting code would have to be brought up-to-date with CVS
for patches to be accepted.  Given the diff between 2.5.6
and CVS head i'd suggest setting yourself use CVS head and
keep fairly up-to-date.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt