rsync.h always including syslog.h even when not used.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Oct 12 14:38:40 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:21:19PM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
> Won't work.  LOG_DAEMON is defined in syslog.h.

Didn't there use to be a HAVE_SYSLOG or USE_SYSLOG in the source before?

>>OpenVMS currently does not have a syslog facility, so it does not have a
>>syslog.h.

If I put an empty syslog.h in my build directory, than the compiler is
happy, so it does not appear to be a needed header file if you do not
have such a facility.

I can use the empty syslog.h, but I was hoping that this could be a
CONFIGURE option, so if and when OpenVMS adds a SYSLOG type facility, it
would pick it up with out the local syslog.h file causing a problem.

> If you don't have a syslog facility i'd expect you to be
> getting link errors.

I have not seen any that I could attribute to that.  The only one I am
seeing is for getpass() being missing and I know how to fix that.

I am trying to restart getting rsync to run on OpenVMS, and find a way
around the fork() issue, posibly using POSIX threads.

The SYSLOG facility looks like it could map in functionality to the
OpenVMS send to operator system service, except that the operator
messages go only to the systems in the local cluster.  So if needed, I
could build an interface to make it work good enough.

There does not appear to be any recent CVS snapshots available for
download, so I am going with the 2.5.6 release as a base.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only