lock out of machine

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Oct 1 12:52:13 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:09:04PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> [rsync at lists.samba.org is a better forum]
>
> On 30 Sep 2003, jennifer.a.rawls at ccaix.jsums.edu wrote:
> > Question-----
> > I have a solaris 9 sunray server... I install rsync-2.5.6 on
> > the solaris an older version is on the linux (crossover
> > server) box I want to upload my solaris /etc/passwd,
> > /etc/shadow, and /etc/group file s to teh linux box.. when i
> > rsync -p -e ssh /etc/shadow client:/etc/shadow it works..and
> > whent i rsync -p -e ssh /etc/passwd  client:/et/passwd it
> > works but when i rsync -p -e ssh /etc/group
> > client:/etc/group it does not work--i get Connect closed by
> > 0.0.0.0
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so fat)
> > rsynce error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12)
> > at io.c(165)
>
> Are those files compatible between Linux and Solaris?  I suppose they
> are if it's working so far.

They are compatible.  The formats have been standardised
since long before even POSIX.  I've shared them via NIS.

I wonder if there might be a permissions mismatch or group
membership issue.  You could try doing them in a different
order.  I'd also consider doing a pull, fewer authentication
issues that way.

> Perhaps try repeating the command with the -vv option to get some
> debugging output.
>
> > can you help...???
> >
> > I want to put this in my crontabe file to update every 5
> > minute..Do i make a /etc/rsyncd.conf file and if so what
> > should be the informat. in it...???

You might want to consider using NIS.  With the exception of
automount all the applicable files are compatible.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt