"Corrupt file" error messages

April Carvalho acarvalh at brave.cs.uml.edu
Fri May 23 08:16:56 EST 2003

Let's try this from scratch:

I've been having a problem for the past several days with
a shellscript that has been working without problems
for the 11 months.

It's working until the comes up with the following error:

  total: matches=349  tag_hits=4061  false_alarms=1 data=6628073
  ERROR: file corruption in public_html/reports/analog/analog.conf. File
  changed during transfer?

I've tried deleting some of these files, renaming them, and using  the
--checksum switch (along with verbose, and progress switches) in hopes
that something else will be said.  The ironic thing about these files
is that they haven't been changed since March 03.

Here  are the specifics of the syncs:

  -Sending server & receiving server is running Debian 3.0 Woody
   (No windows involved)
  -Both servers are running rsync 2.5.6
  -sync is happening over internal network.
  -All the files in question are the same one: analog.conf.  It
   is a configuration file for a bot that checks our sites.  There's
   about 75 copies of the same name, but only 12 errors are showing.
   I'm assuming everytime I'm getting this error that it is a different
   file and not trying the same file over again.

Since this first post, the error has increased to 30 error messages--
all with files for the same name.

If you have any suggestions on where to go next, it would be appreciated.
:-)

April