Solaris Hangs tcp SACK

Ryan Madison rmadison at simonsontech.net
Fri May 23 02:17:57 EST 2003

All,
	Recently on an Ultra 10 running Solaris 8:
--
SunOS toasty 5.8 Generic_108528-20 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10,
--

rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
General Public Licence for details.
--
	The rsync process hung when using this machine as a client to a machine
running rsync in daemon mode on port 873. Similar errors occurred when
using SSH as the transport mechanism and pulling from another machine.
	I had intermittent success by limiting the bandwidth with the
--bwlimit=5 parameter. - But rsync still choked when trying to transfer
larger files > 300 bytes.
	What ended up fixing the issue is tweaking the /dev/tcp module, and
disabling selective acknowledgment (SACK). I ran the following command,
and rsync worked fine with no special parameters between both hosts,
using different transport mechanisms.
--
bash-2.03# ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_sack_permitted
2

Following is from the tcp(7P) man page. - It indicates that default for
tcp_sack_permitted is 1.
--
 Turn on  SACK capabilities in the following way:

        o  Use  ndd  to  modify   the   configuration   parameter
           tcp_sack_permitted. If tcp_sack_permitted is set to 0,
           TCP will not accept  SACK or send out   SACK  informa-
           tion.  If   tcp_sack_permitted  is set to  1, TCP will
           not initiate a connection with SACK  permitted  option
           in  the   SYN  segment,  but  will  respond with  SACK
           permitted option in the  SYN|ACK segment if  an incom-
           ing   connection  request  has  the   SACK   permitted
           option.   This means that  TCP will only accept   SACK
           information  if  the other side of the connection also
           accepts  SACK information.  If  tcp_sack_permitted  is
           set to 2, it will both initiate and accept connections
           with    SACK    information.     The    default    for
           tcp_sack_permitted is 1.
--

In a previous e-mail Dave Dykstra mentioned the /dev/tcp patch as a
potential fix for Solaris hang issues:

-Thought you all might like to know.
-RYAN

--