support@microsoft e-mails is a VIRUS

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed May 21 09:55:17 EST 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:58:23AM -0700, Steve Bonds wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2003, Eric Chen echen-at-ateonix.com |Rsync List| wrote:
>
> > Attention rsync list members,
> >
> > Do not open up the attachment that comes along with this e-mail because it
> > is a virus.

As should be obvious to anyone capable of using rsync.

> > Is there anyway you can stop sending these e-mails to everybody on the list?
> > I've received maybe 3 or 4 of them since yesterday.
>
> One possible solution to reduce the spam/virus traffic on the list would
> be to close the list so that only people on the list can send to it.

The rsync team has, so far, rejected that approach.  We want
to keep the list as open as possible.

> This list seems to be a popular target for spammers since the address I
> use for this list (and nothing else) gets loads of spam.

This list is a very popular target.  You see but the tiniest
fraction of that traffic.  Thanks to Martin (and i assume
others) the list traffic is filtered.  No filters are
perfect and it is a constant struggle to keep up with these
scum as they try to bypass the filters.

> With that said, all my copies of the message from the rsync mailing list
> have had the virus-laden attachment stripped.  I don't have anything set
> up here that would strip them, and other copies of the virus have come
> through intact-- so it seems that the rsync mailing list software is
> probably taking them out.

It is.  I think the archives will show the sorts of content
filtering that are done.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt