support@microsoft e-mails is a VIRUS

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Wed May 21 03:58:23 EST 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Eric Chen echen-at-ateonix.com |Rsync List| wrote:

> Attention rsync list members,
>
> Do not open up the attachment that comes along with this e-mail because it
> is a virus.
> Is there anyway you can stop sending these e-mails to everybody on the list?
> I've received maybe 3 or 4 of them since yesterday.

One possible solution to reduce the spam/virus traffic on the list would
be to close the list so that only people on the list can send to it.

This list seems to be a popular target for spammers since the address I
use for this list (and nothing else) gets loads of spam.

With that said, all my copies of the message from the rsync mailing list
have had the virus-laden attachment stripped.  I don't have anything set
up here that would strip them, and other copies of the virus have come
through intact-- so it seems that the rsync mailing list software is
probably taking them out.

  -- Steve