single quotes in the manpage

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat May 17 17:26:40 EST 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 11:54:41PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:54:04PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > Does anything get done with the yodl files besides run them through
> > yodl2man?  If not we might as well delete the .yo files and fix the
> > manpages.
>
> I don't agree with that logic.  We currently have flexible docs that are
> available in multiple formats.  Changing that to be a single (archaic)

What are those formats?  I haven't seen them.  All i see is
the similarly old (i'll not go so far as to call it archaic)
yodl format popular in Australia and a generated manpage
with incorrect formatting.

> format would be a step backwards.  I'd only want to replace yodl with

These are manpages not a manual.   The standard format for
manpages is troff which directly produces viewable text via
man(1) and high quality typeset hardcopy, and additionally
may be used to produce html, sgml and other formats.  I've
seen no evidence that yodl is a step forward.

> something better that was also capable of outputting multiple formats.

I'll agree a separate manual or users guide in another
modern, less hardcopy oriented markup language would make
sense.

> In the meantime, the immediate problem with the groff format has been
> (re-)fixed, so that's taken care of.  When updating the docs we just
> need to be sure to use a patched version of yodl, such as the one on
> samba.org or the one shipped with Debian (or even patched manually).

And will be broken again as soon as someone else updates the
.yo documents.  I'll have to stop running make man since my
installation is probably broken.  The only reason i have
yodl on my system was to update the manpages so i guess i'll
just de-install it so i don't forget.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt