Update included popt to version 1.7

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu May 15 10:28:56 EST 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:50:31PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:09:15PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > Is there a reason why it is cut-down?
>
> I know that at least some of the changes involve tweaking the
> configuration to use rsync's configure output.
>
> How about this question:
>
> Isn't it finally time to just dump popt out of the rsync package?  After
> all popt is a separate package with its own maintainers.  Shouldn't we
> just say that rsync depends on popt and so it requires popt to be
> installed somewhere on the system for a successful build?

I've thought of that myself.  To me popt seems somewhat
obscure.  This is the only project i can recall using popt.
I'd say if it comes standard on all the main Linux distros
and cygwin lets drop it from the tree and just put it on the
prerequisites list.

The one thing that strikes me is that if we are going to
include popt, lets not incorporate it into rsync quite so
tightly.  Either let the user cd into the popt directory and
do the "./configure; make" sequence or have the rsync
makefile do it.  I've seen plenty of other projects that
include another project's tree as a subtree (libtiff, zlib)
for optional linking and they usually don't integrate it
into the source.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt