rsync filling up hardisk on OSX

Michael Fairchild fairchild at corona.physics.ucla.edu
Thu May 8 06:41:24 EST 2003

Hello,
 I am still ironing out the bugs in my rsync backup soloution.  As I said
earlier I have it working working initiating from the macs to the linux
server, sortof.  The sortof part is what I am trying to eliminate.
2 problems: first rsync seems to be filling up the disk on one of my
client OSX machines.  df showed a little over a gigabyte when i started
the backup of the ~=30GB drive I had a little over 1GB free.  As the
backup was running df reported less and less available space untill I
finally killed ctrl-c killed the rsync process when there was only about
250MB left.  Now I can't find where all the used space is. Is there a
large temporary directory somewhere?  Can I configure rsync to not use
so much tmp space, or change where it is?  Where the heck is that 700MB?
On another OSX powerbook It seems to be working ok.  But even on that on
it seemed to use a few megs, and not clean them up, after a normal exit.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Michael

Bye the way, a few other wrinkles i smoothed out a bit in my
system, in case someone else runs into them:
rsync mac client was always copying the entire file, never matching,
even with the --size-only flag.  I had to upgrade the clients to 2.5.6,
from 2.5.2 and 2.5.5.