rsync/ssh/cygwin

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue May 6 06:50:05 EST 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 01:32:13PM -0400, Andrew MacKenzie wrote:
> I've been using rsync under Win2k(cygwin) for some time without error.  But
> after a recent upgrade of cygwin I've started to get errors, and rsync no
> longer works.  I'm not sure if this is a rsync problem, ssh problem, or
> cygwin problem, so I figured I'd try here first (since ssh seems to work
> fine).
>
> On my windows machine:
> > rsync --version
> rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26
> Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
> <http://rsync.samba.org/>
> Capabilities: 32-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
> batchfiles,
>                no IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums
>
>                rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free
>                software, and you
>                are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
>                See the GNU
>                General Public Licence for details.
>
> > ssh -V
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090702f
>

> Error message:
> > rsync -e ssh -rav --exclude=SunWS_cache --exclude='*.o' --progress --stats amackenz at edw450-1-1:Code .
> amackenz at edw450-1-1's password:
> Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> forwarding.
> channel 0: chan_shutdown_read: close() failed for fd-1: Socket operation
> on non-socket
> stty: : Invalid argument
> stty: : Invalid argument
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
> channel 0: chan_shutdown_write: close() failed for fd-1: Socket operation
> on non-socket
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> /tmp/rsync-2.5.6/io.c(177)
>

> I've tried many different command lines, but nothing seems to help.
> edw450-1-1 is a Solarix box here, running rsync 2.5.6 protocol 26 as well.
> But I get the same results against a RedHat Linux system running the same
> version.
>
> the 'stty' invalid argument lines are likely from an error in the .cshrc
> login script on that system (publicly sourced file).  scp works just fine
> accross each of these systems as does ssh.

While i doubt the stty errors are the problem stty should
never be called from a .cshrc file. stty belongs in .login
where it will only be called for login shells.  .cshrc
should be as small as possible because it is run every time
you launch a shell (including scripts).  My recollection is
that stty should either be complaining "not a tty" or not at
all so the "invalid arguments" and is one more hint that
there is old stuff (from SunOS?) and the dot files should be
audited.

It is clear that things are not configured correctly for ssh
and csh.  I'd suggest while testing that you disable X11
forwarding (either -e "ssh -x" or set the RSYNC_RSH
variable). The fewer extraneous errors the easier to debug.

There have been some reports that the version of ssh
supplied by Sun has problems with rsync.  Those who have
reported this have found that openssh works fine.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt