rsync/ssh/cygwin

Andrew MacKenzie andy at edespot.com
Tue May 6 03:32:13 EST 2003

I've been using rsync under Win2k(cygwin) for some time without error.  But
after a recent upgrade of cygwin I've started to get errors, and rsync no
longer works.  I'm not sure if this is a rsync problem, ssh problem, or
cygwin problem, so I figured I'd try here first (since ssh seems to work
fine).

On my windows machine:
> rsync --version
rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 32-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
               no IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

               rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free
               software, and you
               are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
               See the GNU
               General Public Licence for details.

> ssh -V
OpenSSH_3.6.1p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090702f

Error message:
> rsync -e ssh -rav --exclude=SunWS_cache --exclude='*.o' --progress --stats amackenz at edw450-1-1:Code .
amackenz at edw450-1-1's password:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
forwarding.
channel 0: chan_shutdown_read: close() failed for fd-1: Socket operation
on non-socket
stty: : Invalid argument
stty: : Invalid argument
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
channel 0: chan_shutdown_write: close() failed for fd-1: Socket operation
on non-socket
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.6/io.c(177)

I've tried many different command lines, but nothing seems to help.
edw450-1-1 is a Solarix box here, running rsync 2.5.6 protocol 26 as well.
But I get the same results against a RedHat Linux system running the same
version.

the 'stty' invalid argument lines are likely from an error in the .cshrc
login script on that system (publicly sourced file).  scp works just fine
accross each of these systems as does ssh.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!  I've got a lot of source code
being pushed around, and rsync is a fantastic way to sync large
directories.

--
// Andrew MacKenzie  |  http://www.edespot.com
// GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key