release date for rsync 2.5.7?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Sat May 3 10:22:40 EST 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:19:42PM -0700, Manish Dubey wrote:
> --- jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Bad line wrapping.  A mailer should not change wrapping on
> > quoted text.  If wrapping must be changed it should be done
> > in a way that doesn't break the quoting.
> >

> Agreed. Yahoo's defaults suck. I should use my own email client,
> but i dont.

s/don't/won't/

[snip]

> > > Also, since you are accepting my input. I would also
> > > like to request a minor feature :-). What will it take
> > > to have rsync create remote subdirectory tree
> > > recursively?
> > >
> > > something like:
> > >
> > > rsync some/local/files/*
> > > remote:/some/non/exist/dir/path/
> > >
> > > Looks like someone asked for this in FAQ-o-matic too.
> > >
> > > http://rsync.samba.org/fom-serve/cache/213.html
> >
> > What it will take is someone actually coding it and the
> > assent of the developers.
> >

> I have a patch, that i can submit for review.
>
> > I'm inclined to discourage such a change.  rsync is modeled
> > on cp and cp would fail if the destination directory is
> > missing.  Furthermore, failing on missing directory is a
> > valuable safety-net.  The majority of the time the
> > destination directory doesn't exist it is because of an
> > error.  Far better to have rsync to report "rsync: mkdir
> > /hoem/henry/Mail: No such file or directory" than to have
> > root or another wrong filesystem fill up on either system.
> >

> I understand the current design decision. However, what if
> this behavior is triggered by a command line flag? I can
> modify my patch to do that.
>
> Also i want to test it for all possible use cases. Is there a
> test harness or description of test cases that i can run my change
> through (before submitting it for review)? I have already tested
> it for all my use cases (local, remote, file and directory syncing)
>
> > It is very easy to force the directory to exist.  Just
> > preceede rsync with "mkdir -p" if you know beyond doubt that
> > the directory, as specified, needs to be created.
> >

> I know about mkdir -p, but its not just slapping "mkdir -p" before
> doing rsync. I will have to make my code understand about syncing file
> vs. directory (and create the parent directory in case of a file), so
> i opted for rsync creating it for me.

A script should know what it is doing.  It isn't like we are
talking about batch-files.  It doesn't take much to test a
path to see if it is a directory or a file.

> Thanks for time. I am just hoping to get my patch integrated for all
> the good reasons of using a standard distribution.

I vote no on this one.

And I don't think it is worth adding yet another option.
The only time it is going to be needed is in scripts and
scripts will be able to do the foundational work.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt