Renaming Folder without resync it fully ?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Mar 12 01:14:58 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 07:33:27AM -0600, dbuiltjes at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Sorry if my question seems candide but I need some help.
>
> I'm running samba on one of my remote machine,and rsync allow me to do my daily backup through a low bandwidth network. Until recently everything was ok, but I've got some users renaming several folders. In this case rsync resend the full folder (including the files !!!) and not only the modification. It seems that rsync does not see the difference between a renamed folder and a new one. How could I avoid this ??

Rsync cannot recognize renames of files or folders.

The only ways to avoid that is to either rename the
directories on the receiving side before syncing or just
don't rename directories.

Short of creating a tool that accurately identifies renamed
folders to rename them on the destination you would have to
get your users involved somehow in the process.

It has been a while since i've used samba but if your users
are actually renaming the directories and not doing a
copy+delete the samba log might possibly be configured to
record the renames and you could get them from there.

Your best bet is simply put up with it. Sorry.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt