Capturing output

Tom Freeman tom.freeman at eduserv.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 04:47:19 EST 2003

Hi folks,
I am running rsync via a perl script run in a cronjob.

Here's the command i'm running

my $message = `/usr/bin/rsync --rsh=/usr/local/openssh/bin/ssh -avu
$directory $destination`;

At the moment when I run the script it writes all output to the screen. I
want to be able to write this data
to a log file, so that if things don't work, I can find out what's wrong.

I've tried
&writeLog("$message");
but this misses out some of the stuff that rsync writes to the screen, i.e.
the useful stuff actually, like if the file is not found on the machine.

Any ideas how I can achieve this? Or is this a perl type question rather
than something I can do with rsync...?

cheers,
Tom
--