Rsync problem

Wayne Davison wayned at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 2 10:32:56 EST 2003

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:51:39AM +1300, James Sewell wrote:
> I just fixed this problem by adding -T /tmp.

This makes me wonder if there was some kind of a write problem of the
temp file into the destination directory.  Keep in mind that scp writes
directly over the destination file, while rsync by default first writes
a temporary file in the same dir and then renames it.  Using the -T
option causes the temp file to go into a different dir.

Why you didn't get a better error message is probably the most pertinent
question.  It might be that the remote rsync crashed.  In such a case
you have to take extra steps to try to figure out why the remote process
is dying (like accessing the remote core file, if one exists).