Rsync problem

James Sewell james.sewell at tait.co.nz
Sun Mar 2 09:26:40 EST 2003

Hey All,

I am running rsync  version 2.5.5  protocol version 26 on my remote
machine (Redhat 8 def. install) and rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol
version 26 on my local machine (Redhat 7.2,  2.4.17 kernel instead of
Redhat one with acl patches). I can copy files between these two
machines (using ssh/scp) fine.

When i run the command:

rsync  -rptz --delete --stats --include="*.ini" --include="*.csv"
--include "*/" --exclude "*" --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync /directory/data
remotehost:~datawh/datawarehouse

I get this output:

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 9779 bytes: phase "unknown":
Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)

Rsync exits with an error code of 12.

The data in the /directory/data/ folder is all able to be accessed by
the user I run as, as is the remote dir. It is not a persmissions thing
as some data does go across before the problem (and i can just copy the
data if I want to with scp).

The file in the /directory/data folder are all plain ASCII files (.csv
and .ini files obviously). Unfortunatley I don't think I can post any
peices of the files due to commercially sensitive content.

I have another directory called /directory/data2 which has the same
files, with information for a different organisation in it. This
directory works fine.

Any hints.. .. .. anything?

Thanks,
James