rsync behind NAT

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jun 5 18:54:40 EST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:00:11PM +0530, Anand wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of more questions and would
> appreciate some response:
>
> I can't ping to the remote server in the new setup.
>
>     enif >> ping ldas-sw.ligo.caltech.edu
>     PING ldas-sw.ligo.caltech.edu (131.215.115.247) from 192.168.11.25 :
>     56(84) bytes of data.
>
>     --- ldas-sw.ligo.caltech.edu ping statistics ---
>     210 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% loss, time 208999ms
>
> Question : Is it a bare minimum requirement that I should be able to ping
> the remote rsync server in order to be able to rsync ?

No.  What is required is that you be able to establish an
TCP/IP connection to the required port for rsync or ssh.
All other ports and protocols could be discarded or even
tarpitted and you could still rsync.

> Question : Is it true that I can't ping the rsync server because my proxy
> server is not on it's access list ?

No.  It is likely that ICMP (what ping uses) packets are
blocked by a firewall or router en-route.

> Question : Other than getting my proxy server's IP on the access list of
> the remote rsync server, what settings are required on my local machine.

I'd suggest you read up on NAT (also called IP
masquerading), firewalling, and VPNs (Virtual Private
Networks).  There are some useful HOWTOs out there as well
as many articles on the web and books.  Or discuss it with
your network administrator.  I'm afraid this is drifting
off-topic for the rsync list.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt