rsync behind NAT

Anand anandss at iucaa.ernet.in
Thu Jun 5 18:30:11 EST 2003

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of more questions and would
appreciate some response:

I can't ping to the remote server in the new setup.

    enif >> ping ldas-sw.ligo.caltech.edu
    PING ldas-sw.ligo.caltech.edu (131.215.115.247) from 192.168.11.25 :
    56(84) bytes of data.

    --- ldas-sw.ligo.caltech.edu ping statistics ---
    210 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% loss, time 208999ms

Question : Is it a bare minimum requirement that I should be able to ping
the remote rsync server in order to be able to rsync ?

Question : Is it true that I can't ping the rsync server because my proxy
server is not on it's access list ?

Question : Other than getting my proxy server's IP on the access list of
the remote rsync server, what settings are required on my local machine.

Thanks a lot again,
AnandO.