EOF error at io.c line 165

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Wed Jul 30 20:49:31 EST 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:33:45AM -0400, Thomas Cort wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I keep getting rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1074142 bytes read so far)
>> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165). Does
>> anyone have any idea of what could cause this? I've gotten the same error on
>> two seperate machines. One UltraSparc running Linux and the other a
>> SparcStation running OpenBSD. We have an x86-SMP system running linux on the
>> same network, and it works fine.
>> -Thomas <tcort at cs.ubishops.ca>
>
>It means the connection was unexpectedly closed.  This
>message is often preceded with a message telling why the
>other end of the connection closed it.  If not, you will
>need to look to the other end for info.

Thomas - you did not indicate what rsync arguments you used, so this is
just a stab in the dark -

One cause of unexpectedly closed connections is a timeout expiration
on the other end.  If this end took too long to do something without
sending anything to the other end, the other end can time out and close
the connection.  This can happen if this end has received the file list
from the other end, and is taking too long to generate its own file list
and start any needed file transfers.

The default timeout is zero - meaning no timeout.

Did you use a --timeout argument?  Or are you using a daemon and setting
a timeout value in rsyncd.conf?
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of MN Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>