Logging problem

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Jul 30 18:04:13 EST 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:45:53AM +0200, René van der Kroft wrote:
> At 02:42 29-7-2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:55:56AM +0200, René van der Kroft wrote:
> >>
> >> All the files are transferred successfully but logging doesn't work OK.
> >> When I add a file into the /home directory rsync picks him up and
> >transfers
> >> him to the server, but when I look into the logfile he says that the file
> >> is uptodate and did not transfer anything. That's strange because the new
> >> file is on the server...
> >
> >The "is uptodate" is reporting that the file metadata was
> >not changed.
>
> Isn't that strange? The file is just new, and isn't on the server...

Not really.  The file was created using the metadata of the
source so when it comes time to fix the metadata after the
transfer there is no need to change it.  If on the other
hand only the metadata had changed it wouldn't be uptodate.

-vv is for debugging.  Debugging messages are often cryptic
and may sometimes require reading of the source code to make
any sense.

> Today the rsync run again, the backup directory shows that there where no
> file changed.
> The Internet statistics for that connection shows: IN 14M, OUT
> 133M!  (Incoming on IP port 22, outgoing keep state)
> That while the logs shows that there where no files where copied.

Without knowing about the tree being scanned i can make no
comment.  There is one other bit of data the server would be
sending to the client that i forgot to mention and that is
all those diagnostic messages you asked for.

> The follwing error showed up today in the logfile:
>
> Received disconnect from IP: 2: fork failed: Resource temporarily
> unavailable^M
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
> _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=150): about to call exit(12)

You have run out of a system resource on the server.  I'd
suggest you look in the system logs.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt