Logging problem

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Jul 29 19:42:41 EST 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:55:56AM +0200, René van der Kroft wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using rsync version 2.5.5 on OpenBSD 3.3 to backup the users /home
> directory over the Internet. It's started by a cron job every night. For
> logging I've add the -vv parameter and redirect the output to a logfile.
> Like this:
>
> rsync -vv --stats --archive --delete --backup --backup-dir=/home/backupdir
> --compress --rsh 'ssh -2 -i keyfile.key' /home
> user at server:/home/backup/current >/home/logs/date.log 2>&1
>
> All the files are transferred successfully but logging doesn't work OK.
> When I add a file into the /home directory rsync picks him up and transfers
> him to the server, but when I look into the logfile he says that the file
> is uptodate and did not transfer anything. That's strange because the new
> file is on the server...

The "is uptodate" is reporting that the file metadata was
not changed.

> Also when I check the server Internet statistics I see that the outgoing
> traffic is much bigger than the incoming traffic (23M IN, 35M OUT). Is this
> correct???

If the size or modtime differs the receiver will
send approximately 6 bytes for every 700 (0.9%) to the
sender.  If there isn't any change in the file the sender
only instructs the receiver to do a local copy of the data
in huge chunks.  Those copy instructions don't take much
bandwidth.  Even accounting for the file-list with metadata
the sender transmits it is perfectly reasonable to see what
you report.

> Does anybody know a solution?

Take 2 drachms of sulphuret of lime and 2 drachms tartaric
acid; powder, mix and shake in a stoppered bottle with a
pint of water; let it settle, pour off the clear liquid and
add 1 1/2 ounces tartaric acid.
		-- to be used for the detection of lead in wine.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt