compression and encryption

Martin Langhoff ml at nzl.com.ar
Mon Jul 28 15:20:46 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote:

> Read the list archives. This has been talked to death.

Amen.

>Most recently, Martin Langhoff has spoken of doing some work
>on using sender-side filtering that sounds promising.  There
>is also a receiver-side patch out there with the performance
>issues you mention.

I've narrowed it down to the code I want to work on. I haven't been able
to do much besides integrating some already existing patches due to a
change of jobs.

You will find that the code is a bit obscure. And it's C.

I have been studying whether to patch Unison instead, to achieve the
same goals (Unison is written in OCaml). In the meantime, I learned
about pysync (Python clone of rsync), but I am unsure of its stability.
And perlsync <http://perlrsync.sourceforge.net/>.

If Perlsync is reasonably stable *and* is wire-compatible with rsync as
people claim, I think that's what I'll work on.

cheers,

martin