@ERROR access denied

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Jul 8 09:35:44 EST 2003

Hi Hardy:

I had originally setup 2 rsync servers one on SCO OSR5 (fisdev, our
development server) and one on RH8 (pgiprd, our production server).

During my initial tests I tried using both fisdev as the server with
pgiprd as the client as well as pgiprd as the server with fisdev as
the client.

The two methods of starting the server process were because of the
differences in the two boxes. The command line method (rsync
--daemon) was used exclusively on SCO/fisdev and the xinetd method
was used exclusively on RH/pgiprd.

Because the RH/pgiprd box is our production server I was hesitant
to mucking around testing servers on the box so I opted to do the
rsync server testing on the SCO/fisdev box. So after the initial
tests all testing was done with the SCO/fisdev box as the rsync
server and the RH8/pgiprd box as the client.

All that being said, I went back and modified the rsyncd.conf
file on RH8/pgiprd by removing "hosts allow", "auth users", "strict
modes" and "secrets file". I also set "read only" to "no" and
"uid" and "gid" to my uid/gid numbers. I then tried to copy a
file from the SCO/fisdev client to the RH8/pgiprd server with:

  rsync -avz tmp.p pgiprd::bak/

The results were:

  building file list ... done
  tmp.p
  wrote 308 bytes  read 56 bytes  242.67 bytes/sec
  total size is 318  speedup is 0.87

It worked!!!!!

Well that gives me a starting point to play with the options and
see what the effects are and which way I want to configure rsync.
I can live with pgiprd being the rsync server as that was my
original intention anyway.

It would appear that something in the daemon code is not compatible
with SCO OSR5.0.4. The core file should have been a give-away. I
also have a copy of 2.5.6 which I will try out.

Thanks to Hardy and Wayne of all the help.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

From: Hardy Merrill Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 15:08

> If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in, as I'm
> getting to the end of my list of things to try.  The
> server is a SCO box and the client is a RH8 box.
>
> Hugh, let's go back to the beginning - in your first
> message, you stated:
> -----------------------
> In the above example "fisdev" is an SCO OSR5.0.4 system with rsync
> V2.5.5 that I have downloaded as source and compiled. The daemon
> was started from a root command line session. "pgiprd" is a RH8
> system with rsync V2.5.5 as supplied by Red Hat. The daemon has
> been started via xinetd.
> -----------------------
>
> You say that the deamon was started from a root command line
> session, which to me means something like 'rsync --daemon'.
> Then you say that the daemon was started via xinetd.  Which
> way have you been using going through these iterations?
>
> I forgot about your 'xinetd' statement, so in all my
> testing on this I've been using a server started from
> a root command line session - 'rsync --daemon'.  If you've
> been running your server the same way (rsync --daemon), then
> I'm about out of ideas - it works for me, but not for you.
> I don't have a SCO box to test on.
>
> Hardy
>
> Hugh E Cruickshank [hugh at forsoft.com] wrote:
> > Hi Hardy:
> >
> > Well that seemed to do something. See my comments below.
> >
> > Thanks, Hugh
> >
> > --
> > Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com
> >
> > From: Hardy Merrill Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 12:38
> > >
> > > 1) First, comment out both 'hosts allow' and 'auth users',
> > > save it, kill and restart the rsync daemon, and try your
> > > rsync again.  Hopefully that will work.
> >
> > This made a small difference. The client no reports:
> >
> >     building file list ... done
>
> >     rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so
> far)
> >     rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> >                  io.c(150)
> >
> > The server log shows:
> >
> >     2003/07/07 14:08:48 [3817] rsync to bak/ from pgiprd.forsoft.com
> >                           (192.168.2.19)
> >
> > And there is now a core file in the /bak directory.
> >

> > > 2) Uncomment the 'hosts allow' line, save, kill and
> > > restart daemon, and try rsync again - you will probably
> > > get the same error you had before.  Your hosts allow line
> > > looked like this:
> > >
> > >   hosts allow	= fisdev pgiprd
> >
> > Back to the original messages.
> >

> > > 3) Now, change the values of that hosts allow to be complete
> > > domain names, like 'fisdev.your.domain.com' and
> > > 'pgiprd.your.domain.com' and see if that works now.
> > >
> > > If you're not sure what the correct domain name is, on the
> > > rsync server machine (this works on linux - not sure about
> > > sco), do 'host fisdev' and see what it spits back.
> > >
> > > According to 'man rsyncd.conf', you can use dotted quad ip
> > > addresses, host names as determined by reverse dns, and
> > > a few other things.

> [...]

---