Error message

'jw schultz' jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Jan 23 12:11:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:36:52PM +0100, Boris Gegenheimer wrote:
> The versions of the different machines I use are the initiating machine :
> Sun 450
> Solaris 8
> Rsync 2.5.5
>
> The machine that I try to copy from :
> IBM rs6000
> AIX 4.3
> Rsync 2.3.1
>
> The command I use is
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -au -q --stats --progress
> --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync maximus:/ptsfs2
> /diskbackup/kanal1/maximus/
>
> The error message comes when he tries to copy that file mentioned below
> which is 14GB big it is not the filesystem or the name of the file because
> it worked with ncftpget.
> But that program has other problems that I will not mention here.
>
> Regards Boris

You might check the error strings in /usr/include.  I
haven't either of those systems available to me to check.

I can say that a 14GB file may have some issues with the
checksum blocksize.  With the default blocksize of 700 the
file will use some 20 million block checksums which is
likely to cause collision problems. Try using
--block-size=32768  I can't say that is
the problem but even if it isn't a large blocksize is in
order.  Version 2.5.6 will have an adaptive block-size.