long directory name problem

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Jan 8 21:04:00 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:17:16PM -0600, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> I've never heard of a name length limit.  One operating system(s) and rsync
> version(s) are you using?
>
> - Dave
>
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:32:19AM -0800, elijah reyen wrote:
> > Does rsync has directory name length limit?  I was
> > trying to rsync a directory that has the name length of
> > 34 characters and getting permission denied error.
> >
> > $ rsync -avz --delete --force -e ssh
> > /usr/local/apache/htdocs 192.168.0.2:/usr/local/apache
> > building file list ...  readlink
> > htdocs/CorporateLegalTimesEDITORIAL_files/cBug_blueXs.gif:
> > Permission denied readlink
> > httpd/html/CorporateLegalTimesEDITORIAL_files/title_a.gif:
> > Permission denied
> >
> > When I rename the directory to about half of its
> > original length, the error goes away.  Any advise are
> > appreciated.

You aren't hitting an rsync limit.  The only limit existing
in rsync is MAXPATHLEN which if not defined by the libs will
be 1024.

Whatever is doing it seems to have a bug in any case.
readlink or stat should return set errno to ENOENT,
ENAMETOOLONG, or ENOTDIR depending on what is actually
causing the error.  EACCESS means the file is there and the
path is good, you just don't have permission.

Most likely it is the libraries causing the problem.

In addition to the OS and rsync version question, what are
the filesystem types?

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt