Newbie Question

Tom Freeman tom.freeman at eduserv.org.uk
Fri Feb 28 01:54:42 EST 2003

Hi,
This is a very simple question I realise, but I hope maybe someone can just
help me out.

I am trying to do a very simple thing, just transfer a file from machine A
to machine B using rsync with ssh.

This is what i'm typing:

bash-2.03# rsync -avvv --rsh="ssh -l tdf"
tdf at machine.niss.ac.uk:/export/home/tdf/demofile.html demofile.html

This is what I get:

opening connection using ssh -l tdf machine.niss.ac.uk -l tdf
rsync --server --sender -vvvlogDtpr . /export/home/tdf/demofile.html
tdf at machine.niss.ac.uk's password:
bash: rsync: command not found
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
_exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=150): about to call exit(12)

Basically it seems to go wrong after logging into the remote machine when it
says "rsync: command not found".

rsync is definately installed on both machines and is in the user tdf's
environment path. So I don't understand why it says "rsync: command not
found"...?

Any help getting this sorted would be VERY much appreciated...?

Many thanks,
Tom
--
Tom Freeman