rsync 2.5.7 link-dest seems broken

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Dec 31 08:12:57 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 08:56:44PM +0000, gname at chriseb.ukshells.co.uk wrote:
> jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> writes:
> > > I assume that older versions of rsync would still exhibit the problem
> > > (since we have a patch relating to this in the upcoming 2.6.0).
> >
> > In 2.5.[67] --link-dest assumes -pog, 2.6.0 will not.
> >
> > If the receiver is not root there can be issues with group
> > preserveration that link-dest won't know about.
>
> Though in this case the remote end isn't a in a chrooted jail, so I would
> assume -pog still implies mapping by name and not id.

You can only chgrp a file to the group you are a member of.

Name vs. ID is a non-issue.  All actions are based on ID,
not name.  If and --numeric-ids is not active the receiver
does a translation in the file list of the IDs it can find
with matching names.

Do an ls -l of source and link-dest, _any_ differences aside
from link-count and inode# matter.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt