rsync 2.5.7 link-dest seems broken

gname at chriseb.ukshells.co.uk gname at chriseb.ukshells.co.uk
Wed Dec 31 09:31:36 EST 2003

jw schultz <jw at pegasys.ws> writes:
> You can only chgrp a file to the group you are a member of.

In this case i'm a member of the group 'users' on both sides, this is the
group that the files are in after being transferred over (the only difference
is that it isn't my primary group on one side, though i've used sg to fix that
prior to running the commands shown).

> Name vs. ID is a non-issue.  All actions are based on ID,
> not name.  If and --numeric-ids is not active the receiver
> does a translation in the file list of the IDs it can find
> with matching names.

Pardon ? What goes over the wire in each case ? Is it a group name or an id ?

--
He spoke. And drank rapidly a glass of water