rsync: connection unexpectedly closed

nisar akhthar akhthar at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 11:40:47 EST 2003

Hi,

I am getting the following error when I try to rsync using ssh on a Redhat
7.2 box of another RedHat 7.2 box. I am running a OpenSSH_3.5p1 and rsync
version 2.5.6.

One clue is, it works fine if i do it as root!!! Could be permission issues,
but on what? I have checked permissions on all the relevant config. files as
well as files/directories involved.

Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[rsync at cvsrep rsync]$ rsync -v rsync at panacea::build_dir tmp
--rsh=/usr/bin/ssh

Panacea CVS
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (25 bytes read so far)

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx