security issues

Bruno LEDOUX bruno_ledoux at binuscan.com
Tue Sep 10 17:56:00 EST 2002

Hi,

I have a question about security with rsync which I want to use to do
automatic backups of a cvs tree. I have two options: the first one is to use
rsync with ssh but it requires me to type in my ssh password each time and
is not really convenient for an automatic process. I could of course use ssh
without password authentication (just ip address) but it would open big
security holes on the server where backups are made...
The second option is to use rsync in daemon mode with password
authentication but in that case file transfers will not be encrypted.

What do you think the is best option in terms of security ? Any ideas ?

Gratefully,

Bruno