Repost - Problem with file name ending with dot "."

Quang Tran Hong tran-hong.quang at siemens.com
Mon Sep 9 10:43:00 EST 2002

Hi,
 I map a folder, for example /tmp, to Samba share folder by using

"mount -t smbfs -o username=...,password=... //sambaserver/sharename /tmp"

 then rsync another folder with samba folder by executing

"rsync -uvr --progress /Apps/ /tmp".

/Apps is just example.

If the file under /Apps has trailing dot in its name, for example "abc.",
the destination file name will be "abc". But the trailing dot is preserved
if I do rsync between two local folders. So that Wayne Davison
(wayned at users.sourceforge.net) answered to my last post that the problem
seem to be the destination file system. But I can keep the trailing dot if I
use cp command like this:

"cp -Rf /Apps/ /tmp"

So, the cause is neither only samba file system nor only rsync. The option
-u has no effect in this case, because "abc." in source folder and "abc" in
destination folder is different. Whenever I run above command, rsync copy
the whole file again and again.

I am using: Redhat6.2 kernel 2.2.16-4, samba-2.0.7-4, rsyn-2.4.6-3

Thanks for any helps

Tran Hong Quang