Re 2: Sorry to waste your time - I will stop using rsync

c.w.huling at pobox.com c.w.huling at pobox.com
Mon Sep 9 02:46:00 EST 2002

What network card are you using?  I had a very similar situation with
a RealTek network card.  I am looking in my archives for my notes, I
think this is the hardware driver name, 3c90x-1.0.0.  Anyway, it was
crashing every time I ran a large rsync, but teh rsync wasn't the
issue, there was a driver problem that occured it a high load, casuing
the machine to go down.  By it was like a Hollywood death scene,
first, I would notice the network traffic stop, then my mouse would be
sluggish and finally my terminal would freeze, about 20 seconds in
total.  If I did a ifconfig eth0 down at the first sign of this, I
would save the crash.

As a secondary to this problem, rsync also caused my CPU temp to read
44C during these big copies (~1gb), which also caused my machine to
freeze.

rsync sufficently stressed my hardware to cause these problems, but
rsync was never the direct cause.  After discovering what I thought
was happening I NFS mounted the large partition and ran a du -sk and
finally was able to trap the RealTek driver error.

C Wayne Huling <c.w.huling at pobox.com>