error starting client-server protocol (code 5)

Doug Schasteen dschast at escindex.com
Fri Sep 6 14:07:01 EST 2002

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6.2 on two different machines. Both machines have
rync installed by way of the ports library, but one of them is running
it as a server. I followed the directions in the man pages for running
the server using inetd.

Here is what happens:

rsync rsync://myusername@10.0.0.8/

rsync: server sent "rysnc version 2.5.5 protocol version 26" rather than
greeting

rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
main.c(923)

I get that same error message any way that I try to access the server,
even with a simple "rsync 10.0.0.8::"

Has anyone seen a message like this before? Does it mean that I set
something up wrong? I can post my rsyncd.conf contents if necessary.

- Doug