MD4 bug in rsync for lengths = 64 * n

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Tue Sep 3 23:31:00 EST 2002

Quoting Dave Dykstra <dwd at bell-labs.com>:

> Donovan or Craig, can you please post it as a patch to the current
> rsync
> source (including an increase in the protocol version and checks to do
> the
> old behavior when talking to an old version client).

I'm not the person to do this, as I don't know the rsync code and protocol
version stuff that well. I've been working on librsync instead. (handballs to
Craig :-).

I'm not sure what the best way of implementing the old behavior for talking to
old versions would be. Perhaps implement a broken finalise in a
seperate "mdfour-old.c" would be best. Then the the mdfour.[ch] can be common
for librsync, rsync, and perhaps samba without including old broken cruft just
for rsync.

> Probably we wouldn't want to incorporate it until a major release
> anyway
> (2.6.0) but if it isn't developed soon and put into the "patches"
> diretory
> it's likely to be forgotten.

I've put the patches against librsync up on the librsync SF page. After I
migrate it and librsync to the RSA implementation API I'll be submitting it to
libmd. It would be nice if we had standard md4sum code that every project could
use/debug/fix.

--
ABO