syntax for push to remote rsync server

Fanning, Niall Niall.Fanning at PSIR.ie
Mon Sep 2 04:21:01 EST 2002

Hi,

	we need to tunnel rsync through ssh, we are using rsync to keep
certain critical file's synchronised within a Veritas cluster.  For security
reasons the transmission of these files must use ssh. We were hoping to
build rsync into the cluster as a resource using the daemon option, however
from what you have said that doesn't seem possible. I think we'll have
abandon the daemon option.

Thanks,
Niall.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Dykstra [mailto:dwd at bell-labs.com]
Sent: 30 August 2002 22:02
To: Fanning, Niall
Cc: 'rsync at lists.samba.org'
Subject: Re: syntax for push to remote rsync server

In released versions of rsync, you can't combine ssh and daemon mode with
"::"; the -e command is ignored.  In the developer's version of rsync in
CVS,
that functionality was recently added.   It's not clear whether or not
that's what you really want, however.  What features of the rsync daemon
mode were you hoping to take advantage of?

- Dave Dykstra

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 04:31:53PM +0100, Fanning, Niall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I have set up two servers as rsync servers with ssh, they sync
> agianst each other. I can pull data down from either remote node when
logged
> into one of them, using a module defined on both servers. However I don't
> seem to be able to push from the localhost to the remote rsync server. I
> think I'm using the incorrect syntax. If someone could highlight where I'm
> going wrong it would be great.
>

> I can pull down from remote host beqoas2 to localhost beqoas1 using the
> rsync
> rsync -Cvaupogzb --suffix=-`date '+%H:%M-%d-%m-%y'`  -e ssh beqoas2::test
> /var/tmp/rsync-test/
>
> test is the module name
>
> I can push from localhost beqoas2 to beqoas1 but not using the rsync
server
> rsync -cvaupogzb --suffix=-`date '+%H:%M-%d-%m-%y'` -e ssh file1
> beqoas1:/tmp/file1
>
> I can't push from localhost to remote a rsync server
> rsync -Cvaupogzb --suffix=-`date '+%H:%M-%d-%m-%y'`  -e ssh
> /var/tmp/rsync-test/  beqoas2::test /var/tmp/rsync-test/
>
> again test is the module name
>
> Thanks,
> Niall.

are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify us immediately at MailManager at psir.ie and delete this E-mail
from your system. Thank you.
It is possible for data transmitted by email to be deliberately or
accidentally corrupted or intercepted. For this reason, where the
communication is by email, the Bank of Ireland Group does not accept
any responsibility for any breach of confidence which may arise
through the use of this medium.
 for the presence of known computer viruses.