Problem with checksum failing on large files

Derek Simkowiak dereks at itsite.com
Sat Oct 12 00:21:01 EST 2002

> same version of rsync at both ends would avoid the problem.

	His original post showed that this happens acrossed various
operating systems with matching versions (2.5.2 and 2.5.5 matched up, and
then 2.5.2 and 2.5.5 mismatched, over SunOS and AIX).

	Could you try to reproduce this under Linux and MS-Windows?
Considering that they are very large files, I'm wondering if it's not
something in the way the O.S. reads the large files...(?)

> I posted a "fixed" md4sum implementation, but it would have required a new
> protocol version number and various hacks for backwards compatability with
> the old implementation before it could be used in rsync.

	Perhaps you could mail this code to Terry, so he can test to see
if it fixes the problem.  If not, then we know it's not the broken
checksum implementation.  But if so, we've found the bug.

	That is, assuming Terry has enough time to volunteer into
testing...

--Derek