Problem with checksum failing on large files

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Fri Oct 11 23:45:00 EST 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 03:26:45PM -0700, Terry Reed wrote:

> [...]

I wonder if this is related to the rsync md4sum not producing "correct"
md4sums for files larger than 512M?

The existing rsync md4sum implementation does not produce md4sums the same
as the RSA implementation for files larger than 512M... but I thought it
was consistant with itself so this didn't affect anything.

I posted a "fixed" md4sum implementation, but it would have required a new
protocol version number and various hacks for backwards compatability with
the old implementation before it could be used in rsync.

Has someone rolled in a "fixed" md4sum implementation to rsync without
checking to make it backwards compatible? If so, then ensuring you have the
same version of rsync at both ends would avoid the problem.

If not, then I dunno :-)