Value too large for defined data type

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Oct 9 23:20:01 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:26:44AM -0700, Jeff.Leuschner at adic.com wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am just starting to use rsync and now have an rsync
> server set up to back up our various machines. I recently
> started getting an error that is confusing and I can't
> find info documented on it. I searched the news group and
> found it mentioned but no solution yet.
>
> I get the error when sync'ing from a Solaris 8 machine to
> my Solaris 8 server.
>
> stat space/sunpci/drives/F.drive/docs/StorNext/LinuxPort/devfs.README.txt :
> Value too large for defined data type
> stat space/sunpci/drives/F.drive/docs/StorNext/StorNextNotes.doc : Value too
> large for defined data type
>
> I also see the same error going from our IRIX 6.5.15 machine, and the error
> is seen on a directory
> vs a file:
> stat apps1/fsdev.cliff/jleuschner/phoenix/ver_2.1.0B57/phtm/ver : Value too
> large for defined data type
> stat apps1/fsdev.cliff/jleuschner/phoenix/ver_2.1.0B57/phtm/ver/CVS : Value
> too large for defined data type

More fields were enlarged in stat than just filesize.  I'm
guessing but i'd say your rsync was built with
HAVE_OFFSET64_T undefined.  As near as i can tell this
message appears to be comming from libc (i don't have an AIX
or Solaris machine to check).  The enlarged field could be
one that rsync doesn't care about but you might want to
rebuild rsync making sure that HAVE_OFFSET64_T is defined so
that it uses stat64.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt