Value too large for defined data type

Jeff.Leuschner at adic.com Jeff.Leuschner at adic.com
Wed Oct 9 14:30:01 EST 2002

Howdy,

	I am just starting to use rsync and now have an rsync server set up
to back up our
various machines. I recently started getting an error that is confusing and
I can't find info
documented on it. I searched the news group and found it mentioned but no
solution yet.

I get the error when sync'ing from a Solaris 8 machine to my Solaris 8
server.

stat space/sunpci/drives/F.drive/docs/StorNext/LinuxPort/devfs.README.txt :
Value too large for defined data type
stat space/sunpci/drives/F.drive/docs/StorNext/StorNextNotes.doc : Value too
large for defined data type

I also see the same error going from our IRIX 6.5.15 machine, and the error
is seen on a directory
vs a file:
stat apps1/fsdev.cliff/jleuschner/phoenix/ver_2.1.0B57/phtm/ver : Value too
large for defined data type
stat apps1/fsdev.cliff/jleuschner/phoenix/ver_2.1.0B57/phtm/ver/CVS : Value
too large for defined data type

Any ideas as to why this is occurring and what I can do to get around this?
I appears that the
file gets sync'd anyway. In addition the files vary in sizes, some of which
do not appear
to be too large.

Thanks,

Jeff