Speed problem

tim.conway at philips.com tim.conway at philips.com
Mon Nov 11 20:13:01 EST 2002

I don't have a system with ssh available to check with (believe it or not,
it's not approved for our network), but i think the sshd_config or
ssh_config might be able to specify using compression as a default.  Is
ssh on the sending side, perchance, using a lot of CPU?  I don't know of
any cpu that can create anything close to a GB/sec compressed _input_,
much less output.
I don't even remember if you can turn the compression off if it IS
default.

Barring that, If you aren't concerned about somebody sniffing the content
you're syncing, perhaps you could use the internal transport?  If you can
protect your ssh private keys, you can protect your rsync password-file as
well.  This also has the advantage of cutting down on context switches, as
one process is doing both the sync stream AND the communication.

Tim Conway
conway.tim at spilihp.com reorder name and reverse domain
303.682.4917 office, 303.921.0301 cell
Philips Semiconductor - Longmont TC
1880 Industrial Circle, Suite D
Longmont, CO 80501
Available via SameTime Connect within Philips, caesupport2 on AIM
"There are some who call me.... Tim?"

uwp at dicke-aersche.de
Sent by: rsync-admin at lists.samba.org
11/11/02 08:30 AM