Rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(926)

C. Posey bluehaze at macvoodoo.com
Mon Nov 11 18:44:34 EST 2002

Mon Nov 11 13:34:31 EST 2002

The error:

rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(578)

and similar errors are thrown constantly on my machines. Several within
LAN running Rsync 2.5.5. The explaination given at the rsync site:

Q: Transfers die with something like

rsync: error writing 4 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
../src/io.c(463)

A: Sometimes fatal error messages from the remote machine can be lost
on the way to the client; you should investigate on the server for
something stopping the transmission. The most common cause isthat the
destination disk is full.

is unacceptable. I think I can tell when my disk is full. No other
options for solving the problems are offered other that cryptic
extra-verbose commands.

Until these errors can be squashed - IMHO - rsync is not suitable for
reliable backups/transfers.

I would be gald to be proven wrong by someone that can offer mores
suggestions than those above to alleviate these problems for myself and
many others with this problem. If not - I leave a wakeup call for teh
rsync dev team to please contact me when these bugs are cured.

Thx