Turn off 64 bit on 2.5.5

Eric Ziegast ziegast at vix.com
Wed May 8 10:00:03 EST 2002

> I have a server running Solaris5.6 with 32 bit,
> how can I turn off 64 bit, just using 32 bit?

Simplest solution:

  How about compiling it on the 32-bit machine?

  It's sure to work, and it takes the least work.

Cross-compiling (might work for you):

  If you use GCC, set the compile options accordingly.  Take a
  look at the following pages (depending on which version you
  use) abou SParc compile options:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_2.html#SEC19
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.0.3/gcc_3.html#SEC24

    Generic: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

  I think you're looking for "-m32".  If you know the processor
  type of the 32-bit machine, you might set "-mcpu=TYPE".  You
  can usually get the CPU information out of one of these commands
  on your 32-bit machine: "dmesg", "prtconf", "prtdiag".

  This might be one way to set the compile options:
    $ ./configure CFLAGS="-m32" CC=`which gcc`

  This might be another way:
    $ CFLAGS="-m32"
    $ CC=`which gcc`
    $ export CFLAGS CC
    $ ./configure

  I've never really tried cross-compiling, but it's worth a shot
  if you don't have a compiler on your 32-bit machine. Perhaps
  someone who has successfully done it before could speak up.

  If you don't use GCC (ie: Sun Compiler), I don't know what other
  options they'd use, but I'm sure it's in Sun's documentation
  somewhere.  If you want to get a copy of GCC instead (and GNU
  make/binutils), you might try www.sunfreeware.com .

--
Eric Ziegast