Timeout issue

Lataille Norbert norbert.lataille at m4x.org
Wed May 8 09:29:02 EST 2002

Hello,

I am using rsync to synchronize directories containing big files over a slow
network (the link is based on GSM). Transfering one single file may need a
few minutes.

I use the optional parameter "--timeout=60", means to me that an IO operation
should not last more than 1 min.  However, what rsync does is that it dies
(return value=30) as soon as _one_ file transfer meeds more than 1min
(everything works well if I set "--timeout=3600", which is not very secure
for a production environement).

I have looked at the archive and tried applying a patch from Neil
Schellenberger
(http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2000-June/002466.html), but it didn't
solve the problem. Is this bug a well-known issue ? Are there patches pending
? Before I start investigating further, do you have suggestions ?

Thanks,

Norbert LATAILLE